Pages

Wednesday 29 May 2013

My favourite things ....

Kaitorete Spit and Birdlings Flat
After our quick trip to Nelson to store what is left of our 'stuff', the next weekend (last weekend) we went to Dunedin to visit Nigel's Mum and daughter and his oldest friend from primary school.
Our recent road trips have re-awakened my appreciation for our lovely country, and I started thinking of the things I'll miss, so here's a little list, in no particular order .....
cabbage trees; bellbirds feeding on flax flowers; our snow-capped mountains; rugged West Coast beaches; turquoise lakes; native forests; rata and pohutakawa blooms; the Nina valley; slurping water from wild rivers; the whoop-whoop sound of a wood pigeon flying; the song of the bellbird; Birdlings Flat; the variety of our seasons; Cave Stream.  I've no doubt this is a list I'll keep adding to. I'm hoping that 'up over' they grow feijoas, gold kiwi and tamarillos, and that Marlborough Savignon Blanc is available at reasonable prices!  Do they have chocolate?  ;-)

And, most importantly, family and friends.  We'll keep in touch via phone and Skype, but they haven't yet developed a replacement for a well-shared hug.

This coming weekend is our last in New Zealand for a while and my parents and sister are coming down from Nelson for the weekend. Nigel and I depart next Tuesday evening - six sleeps to go!

If you've left NZ, or can imagine doing so, what did/would you miss?  Please let us know by adding a comment here.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Nigel's sister and her husband have asked us to bring them a jar of Marmite, Annette! :-)

      Delete
    2. Small correctin Nigels sister have asked for the marmite....me i prefer ginger marmalade. But I do miss the Otago Peninsulas cape Saunders and that wonderful view near Scarbourgh looking towards the Kaikouras.

      Delete
    3. Ooops! Sorry for the mistook, Janos. I'm actually a Vegemite girl, but the jar of Marmite is in my bag. I'll be able to hand it across in about 15 hours! :-)

      Delete
  2. A Jimmy's pie and an L & P on a road trip.

    Ferg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm ... I used to love L&P ... I can't handle the sweetness now though. And as for a Jimmy's pie, I'll trust you it's good, Ferg, but I think I've missed my chance to sample one. :-(

      Delete